Win up to £5,000 in the spring Lifeboat Lottery and help save lives!
Play our quarterly Lifeboat lottery and give yourself a chance to land one of nine cash prizes. What would you treat yourself to with £5,000?
Every ticket you buy will go towards saving lives. It ensures RNLI lifeboat crews around the UK are ready, 24/7, whenever an emergency arises and helps our lifeguards keep thousands of beachgoers safe. It provides our lifesavers with essential training, kit and equipment – all crucial to their safety and the conditions they face. And it inspires our family of volunteers and staff who work tirelessly to raise awareness and funds, both vital to the future of our lifesaving service and our goal of reducing drowning.
How to play
Our spring lottery launches on 25 January 2021 and all entries need to be returned to us by 19 March 2021. Tickets cost £1 or £10 for a book of 10. Buy yours from 25 January 2021 by calling us on 0300 300 9920 (weekdays, 8am-6pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The draw will take place on 6 April 2021 and we will contact you if you are one of the lucky winners!
To take part, you must be aged 18 or over. Underage gambling is an offence. You must live in England (excluding the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), Scotland or Wales. You can read our full terms and conditions below. Thank you for supporting our lifesavers, and good luck!
If you feel you have a problem with gambling and would like to request that RNLI excludes you from all of its gambling related activities, including receiving gambling related marketing materials, you can simply download the Self Exclusion form (PDF - 120KB), and return to: Supporter Experience team, Royal National Lifeboat Institution, West Quay Road, Poole BH15 1HZ by post or email to email@example.com. If you, or someone you know, needs information or help with problem gambling, please call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or visit begambleaware.org.
R.N.L.I. (SALES) LIMITED is licensed and regulated in Great Britain by the Gambling Commission under account number 43072.
The RNLI is the charity the save lives at sea.
In 2019 the RNLI received £2,024,547 in Lifeboat Lottery ticket sales and 85% of money raised by the Lifeboat Lottery went directly towards the RNLI, 2% on prizes and 13% on expenses.
The estimated likelihood of winning a prize for the Spring Lifeboat Lottery 2021 is 1 in 72,327 per entry purchased. Actual figures may vary.
1. You can purchase entries for the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery by post or over the phone. Each £1 entry you purchase is entered into our electronic draw. You may purchase up to a maximum of 50 entries per transaction and up to a maximum of 150 entries in total per Lottery.
a) Playing by post
If you are an existing supporter, you may receive lottery tickets in the post. Tickets cost £1 each and are sent out in books of 10 and you will receive a maximum of 5 books. Each ticket you purchase is converted into a single ‘entry’ that is then entered into the electronic draw. Tell us how many entries into the draw you would like by sending back the Response Form along with your payment. Ticket numbers are not used in the draw itself - we identify your entries using your supporter number.
When selling tickets to friends or family and also purchasing some yourself, complete contact details on all Ticket Stubs and send these to us along with the Response Form and payment. Every ticket purchased is converted into an entry that is then entered into the electronic draw. If selected as a prize winner, the ticket number is used to identify the person who purchased it.
All entries must be submitted by posting your Response Form, payment and any Ticket Stubs to: RNLI, West Quay Road, Poole, BH15 1HZ.
You can make the payment in one of the following ways:
i. By cheque or postal order made payable to RNLI (Sales) Limited; or
ii. By completing your card details on the Response Form.
Due to internal processing, credit card payments will go through RNLI, which will then be transferred to RNLI (Sales) Ltd and at the end of the year, any profits are donated to RNLI.
b) Playing over the phone
You can purchase entries for the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery on your debit card only by calling our Supporter Experience team on 0300 300 9920. Payments go through to RNLI (Sales) Ltd and at the end of the year, any profits are donated to RNLI.
2. If you decide to make a donation alongside your payment for the lottery entries, all the donations received in connection with the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery will be paid into RNLI.
3. Winners will be notified by phone, email or post and results will be published in Lifeboat magazine and on the Winners section of this webpage and in promotional material for subsequent lotteries.
4. Your purchase of the Lifeboat Lottery entries is from the RNLI (Sales) Limited (“the Promoter”), in accordance with these terms as amended from time to time.
5. By entering the Lifeboat Lottery you agree that:
a) you are 18 years of age or over;
b) you are a resident of mainland England (excluding the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), Scotland or Wales;
c) you will not buy an entry to this Lottery on behalf of anybody under the age of 18;
d) you will provide accurate entry information and accept that it is your responsibility to keep us informed of any changes as soon as they arise, including the change of your contact details;
e) you will comply with these terms as well as the rules and regulations of the Gambling Commission under legislation laid down in the Gambling Act 2005 and any further instructions or rules issued by the Promoter from time to time.
6. Underage gambling is an offence. You must be 18 years or older to play the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery. We may contact you at random by telephone to verify your age. Any person who has entered a draw who is under 18 years old will automatically forfeit any prize and will be excluded from future entries. If someone under 18 years old is found to have participated in the Lottery after the lottery draw has taken place, then subject to clause 7 below, we will use our best endeavour to make a full refund of the purchased lottery entries to that person and any prizes that might otherwise have been due to them will not be paid out. If prizes have already been paid out, all reasonable attempts will be made to recover them.
7. You accept that we may be unable to provide refunds once you have purchased your Lottery entries.
8. The opening and closing dates for the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery 2021 are listed below and may be subject to change. Any entries received after the closing date for each lottery will not be considered and will be treated as a donation.
• Spring Lottery 2021 – Open date 25 January 2021. Close date 19 March 2021.
• Summer Lottery 2021 – Open date 19 April 2021. Close date 11 June 2021.
• Autumn Lottery 2021 – Open date 19 July 2021. Close date 10 September 2021.
• Winter Lottery 2021 – Open date 11 October 2021. Close date 3 December 2021.
10. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any purchases which are not completed for any reason.
11. The Promoter may reject any application without giving reason at its absolute discretion if it has reasonable grounds to do so. No detail in the application may be changed in any way once it has been submitted, except for a change of address. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
12. The winners will receive
• 1st prize winner - £5,000
• 2nd prize winner - £2,000
• 3rd prize winner - £500
• 4th prize winner - £250
• 5th prize winner - £100
• 6th prize winner - £100
• 7th prize winner - £100
• 8th prize winner - £100
• 9th prize winner - £100
13. Each ticket you purchase is converted into a single ‘entry’ that is then entered into the electronic draw. Winners are chosen at random using a Random Number Generator. The random generator software has been tested and approved by an independent test house approved by the Gambling Commission. We identify you as the winner using your supporter number unless you have sold tickets to family or friends too, in which case the ticket number is used to identify the winner.
14. We will endeavour to notify the winner by phone or email in the first instance and will post the letter confirming their win with their cheque (using contact details on the entry form/provided on the ticket stub) within 5 working days of the draw date. If we do not have a telephone number, email address or cannot reach the winner, they will just be notified and sent their cheque by post (using contact details on the entry form/provided on the ticket stub). A postal address must be provided to claim the prize and it is your responsibility to notify us of any change of address. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter or does not bank a cheque within 90 days, then the winner's prize will be forfeited and the prize money will be transferred to RNLI as a charitable donation.
15. All entrants are solely responsible for providing RNLI with their accurate and up-to-date contact details and RNLI will be in no way liable for any failure or inability to contact any entrant due to any errors, omissions or inaccuracies in the contact details that the entrant has provided. In the event that the entrant changes their contact details, they will be solely responsible for advising RNLI of the change.
16. The Promoter reserves the right to publish and use for promotional purposes, the winners’ names which will be published in Lifeboat magazine, on the Winners section of this webpage and in promotional material for subsequent lotteries. The winners’ details will be in summary form i.e. Mrs [surname] from [county/ town]. We may also look to publish any image and/or quote from the winners, subject to them being happy with providing us with this information and consenting that we publish it.
17. The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
18. The Promoter reserves the right to hold, void, cancel, suspend, or amend the Lottery where it becomes necessary to do so - we would retain any amounts which were paid prior to any such suspension/ cancellation taking effect and we would notify you of further details regarding the resumption of the lottery or process refunds if the lottery was not capable of taking place. RNLI Lifeboat Lottery 2021 draw dates are listed below and may be subject to change.
• Spring Lottery 2021 draw date – 6 April 2021.
• Summer Lottery 2021 draw date – 28 June 2021.
• Autumn Lottery 2021 draw date – 27 September 2021.
• Winter Lottery 2021 draw date – 20 December 2021.
19. RNLI staff/volunteers/trustees and their families are able to participate in the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery unless they are involved in the administration of the lottery draw in which case they must be excluded. This applies to the staff/volunteer/trustee’s family too.
22. We are committed to ensuring that the information about how to gamble responsibly is readily available to all – please refer to the Responsible gambling section of this webpage or call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020133 or visit begambleaware.org.
23. You can opt out of receiving lottery tickets by calling our Supporter Experience team on 0300 300 9920. This will not affect your prior purchase of lottery entries.
24. If you feel you have a problem with gambling and would like to request that RNLI excludes you from all of its gambling related activities, including receiving gambling related marketing materials, you can “Self-exclude” by completing the Self Exclusion Form (PDF 117KB), notifying us by phone on 0300 300 9920, email firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to RNLI, West Quay Road, Poole, BH15 1HZ. The exclusion must last for a minimum of six months and if you self-exclude after you bought tickets for the Lottery but before the draw takes place, we will endeavour to provide you with a refund and withdraw your entries. Any prize would be forfeited.
25. The prize draw and these terms are governed by English law.
26. If you are paying by credit card, you may be charged a fee on top of your Lottery purchase. Please check with your bank for further information.
27. We do not accept credit card payment when playing the Lottery over the phone.
28. These Terms and Conditions are subject to change.
R.N.L.I. (SALES) LIMITED is licensed and regulated in Great Britain by the Gambling Commission under account number 43072. Website: gamblingcommission.gov.uk
Promoter: RNLI (Sales) Ltd. All Profits from the Lifeboat Lottery will be used to fund the work of the RNLI. £1 per entry.
RNLI (Sales) Limited, a registered company number 2202240, whose registered office is at West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HZ.
Lottery Manager: Jayne George of West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HZ.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), a charity registered in England and Wales (209603), Scotland (SC037736), the Republic of Ireland (20003326) the Bailiwick of Jersey (14), the Isle of Man, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and Alderney of West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HZ.
If you feel you have a problem with gambling. Visit begambleaware.org or call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133.
Not to be sold to anyone under 18 years of age. Underage gambling is an offence.
1st prize: £10,000 Mr Crewe from Bristol
2nd prize: £2,000 Mr Blackwell from Essex
3rd prize: £500 Mr Fillingham from Somerset
4th prize: £250 Mr Partridge from Berkshire
Five prizes of £100 each
Mrs Cuthbert from Essex
Mrs Branigan from Hertfordshire
Mr Coursey from Yorkshire
Miss Austen from Middlesex
Mrs Cate from West Sussex
The Lifeboat Lottery is a quarterly draw that supports the RNLI’s lifesaving work. However, a lottery is a form of gambling, and it’s our duty to give information on where help is available if you are concerned that you may have a problem.
Responsible gambling is under your control, and typical behaviour includes:
- moderate gambling
- gambling only with money you can afford
- quitting while you are ahead
- setting limits on how much time and money you can afford to spend
- having fun or supporting a charity, not investing your money
- not spending more than you can afford, hoping to win back previous losses
- not letting gambling take over your life
- not gambling because you are stressed or bored.
The vast majority of people gamble responsibly. For some, however, gambling can become a problem. If you have concerns about your gambling habits, or those of someone close, there is friendly advice available from trained counsellors at BeGambleAware. You can call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133, or you can visit begambleaware.org for more information.
Talking about your concerns can be a big relief. If you are unsure whether there’s a problem, please look at the questions below.
- Do you lie to cover up the time and money you spend gambling?
- Do you gamble alone for long periods?
- Do you take time off from work or study to gamble?
- Do you use gambling as a way of escaping from boring or unhappy periods in your life?
- Do others criticise your gambling habits?
- Do you gamble after arguments, frustrations or disappointments?
- Do you gamble until you have spent every penny you have?
- Do you feel depressed about your gambling habits?
- Do you feel reluctant to spend your gambling money on other things?
- Have you lost interest in other aspects of your life (such as hobbies and friends) because of gambling?
- Have you lied or stolen/borrowed money to gamble or pay gambling debts?
If you’ve answered ‘yes' to the majority, you may wish to speak to BeGambleAware.
How will I find out if I'm a winner?
We will endeavour to notify winners by phone, email or post within 5 working days of the draw date.
How are winners selected?
Each ticket you purchase is converted into a single ‘entry’ that is then entered into the electronic draw. Winners are chosen at random using a Random Number Generator. The random generator software has been tested and approved by an independent test house approved by the Gambling Commission. We identify you as the winner using your supporter number unless you have sold tickets to family or friends too, in which case the ticket number is used to identify the winner.
I’ve moved house. How can I update my contact information?
Please contact our Supporter Experience team on 0300 300 9920 if you need to update any of your contact information.
How can I change the number of tickets I play or cancel?
Please contact our Supporter Experience team on 0300 300 9920 if you wish to change the number of books we send you each lottery, or to stop being sent books altogether.
When does the RNLI lottery draws take place?
Spring Lottery 2021 - Open date 25 January 2021. Close date 19 March 2021. Draw date 6 April 2021
Summer Lottery 2021 - Open date 19 April 2021. Close date 11 June 2021. Draw Date 28th June 2021.
Autumn Lottery 2021 - Open date 19 July 2021. Close date 10 September 2021. Draw date 27th September 2021.
Winter Lottery 2021 - Open date 11 October 2021. Close date 3 December 2021. Draw Date 20th December 2021.
Dates may be subject to change.
How old do I have to be to play the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery?
You must be 18 years or older to play the RNLI Lifeboat lottery. Underage gambling is an offence.
Can I play if I am not a resident of Great Britain?
No. To play the Lifeboat Lottery you need to be a resident of mainland England (excluding the Channel Islands and Isle of Man), Scotland or Wales.
How can I pay for the lottery?
You can pay by cheque or postal order made payable to ‘RNLI (Sales) Limited’ or by debit or credit card. However please note that due to legislative changes in April 2020, we are no longer able to accept credit card payments over the phone.
Can I set up a Direct Debit to play the lottery?
No, sorry, we do not accept Direct Debit payments for the Lifeboat Lottery.
Are my ticket purchases eligible for Gift Aid?
Unfortunately, we are not able to accept Gift Aid on ticket purchases. However, we are able to Gift Aid any donations you may send in with or without your ticket purchase.
Who is the Lottery Management Company for the RNLI Lifeboat Lottery?
The RNLI Lifeboat Management company is Woods Valldata (Lansdowne House, Bumpers Way, Chippenham SN14 6NG)
What is the max number of entries I can buy?
You may purchase up to a maximum of 50 entries per transaction and up to a maximum of 150 entries in total per Lottery.
I’d like to share how it feels to be a winner in the Lifeboat Lottery – how can I get in touch?
If you are one of our lucky winners then we would love to hear from you! Please tell us how it feels to be a winner in the Lifeboat lottery by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 0300 300 9920.
How much of the money raised by the lottery goes towards the charity?
In 2019 the RNLI received £2,024,547 in Lifeboat Lottery ticket sales and 85% of money raised by the Lifeboat Lottery went directly towards the RNLI, 2% on prizes and 13% on expenses.
Will I incur a charge if I buy my lottery tickets with a credit card?
If paying by credit card, you may be charged a fee on top of your lottery purchase. Please check with your bank for further information.
Do I need to return my lottery Ticket Stubs?
If you are buying entries for yourself you only need to complete and return the Response Form and payment (no need to return the Ticket Stubs). If you are selling tickets to family or friends, fill in the contact details on the Ticket Stubs and send these back to us too with the Response Form and payment.
How can I view the Lifeboat Lottery Policy?
View our Lifeboat Lottery Policy (PDF 149KB).