The Day I fell in
Write a short story about falling into cold water.
- 30 minutes
- Optional: display equipment
- Optional: speakers
- Optional: printer
- Optional: musical instruments
This activity tasks children with writing a short piece of fiction using a given location and story title.
Its aim is to get them using descriptive language to consider what to do if they unexpectedly fall into cold water.
Tell me more
Introduce the task with the slides that explain what to do if you find yourself in the water unexpectedly. Get each child to try out the float position, to help them remember it.
Included are a range of waterside location stimulus images and soundscapes, along with pointers to help them get started.
- England KS2 PSHE Health & Wellbeing
- Northern Ireland KS1&2, PD&MU, Personal Understanding and Health
- Republic of Ireland SPHE, Myself
- Scotland First & Second Level, PSE / HWB
- Wales Health and well-being, Languages, literacy and communication
- The Day I Fell In - Guidance notes - PDF 3.6MB
- The Day I Fell In - Workshop slides - PDF 11.7MB
Book a session
Come and visit us or invite us to come and visit you – there’s nothing quite like meeting RNLI volunteers and lifesavers to inspire young people.
Bookings are currently closed. They will reopen on 10 February 2023.