Both of Weymouth's RNLI lifeboats have had a busy weekend.

Lifeboats News Release

The first shout came in at 8.55pm on Friday 20th Sep. when the all-weather lifeboat was tasked by the Coastguard to go to the assistance of a 10m yacht some 15 miles SE of St Albans Head. The yacht with 2 persons onboard was on passage from Brixham to Gosport when they fouled their propeller with a

Weymouth Inshore and all-weather lifeboats

RNLI/Ken Francis

Weymouth lifeboats

Once on scene the lifeboat crew quickly established that the crew were fit and well and then passed a line and towed the vessel back to Weymouth arriving at 01.15am on Saturday 21st Sep.

Meanwhile back in Weymouth, prior to the departure of the All-weather lifeboat and unknown to the RNLI crews, a 25' yacht which had been on passage from Weymouth to Poole when the sea conditions proved too much for the 3 persons onboard and they decided to return to Weymouth. On entering the harbour they found that they had problems with the engine and were drifting around when they managed to grab hold of the all-weather lifeboat which was on its berth.

It is thought that when the alert went out for the lifeboat to be launched they let go of the ropes and attempted to get to another place of safety.

However once the all-weather lifeboat launched they were still drifting in the harbour and unable to moor up.

At this stage the Coastguard having been called requested that the Inshore lifeboat launch to the aid of the drifting yacht which by now was near to fuelling pier of the harbour.

Quickly on scene at 9.09 pm. the volunteer lifeboat crew took the drifting yacht in tow and took her to the waiting pontoon where she was safely moored up at 9.29pm.

No sooner than the yacht was moored up when the Coastguard tasked the Inshore lifeboat to proceed to Portland Harbour where there were reports of a 30' motor vessel aground 300m to the North of Smallmouth Bay. On arrival at 9.38pm it was found that the vessel was aground but that the CRT team from Wyke Coastguard were dealing with the one person onboard who had a head injury from the shore and that the Coastguard helicopter had been requested. The Inshore lifeboat stood by in case it was needed but this turned out not to be and the volunteer crew were stood down at 10.46pm and returned to station.

Sunday 22nd Sep both boats were launched at 09.24am to go to the aid of a 25' yacht with 2 persons onboard and reported to be taking on water with their bilge pump unable to cope with the amount of water coming in.

The yacht was reported to be on the West side of Portland near to Blacknor Point.

Once on scene a volunteer crew member of the lifeboat and a mobile pump were transferred onto the sinking yacht.

The additional pump soon had the water level under control and a tow from the all-weather lifeboat was established and the yacht was taken to Portland Marina where she was lifted out of the water.

The Inshore lifeboat had been released when the tow started and returned straight to station at 11am. while the all-weather returned to station at 12.05pm.

Both boats were refuelled and made ready for the next shout.

Key facts about the RNLI

The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.

Learn more about the RNLI

For more information please visit the RNLI website or Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. News releases, videos and photos are available on the News Centre.

Contacting the RNLI - public enquiries

Members of the public may contact the RNLI on 0300 300 9990 (UK) or 1800 991802 (Ireland) or by email.