Station history

A station was established by the Institution in 1896 in view of the number of shipwrecks in the area.

1896-1898

Lifeboat house built at a cost of £845.

1897

Flagpole supplied.

1912

Committee decided the boat would in future be launched from the slipway and exercises with horses would be discontinued. Gas laid on in lifeboat house for lighting and heating.

1927

An exercise was arranged for Flag Day on 6 August. Coxswain Kneen was killed by an explosion, when he fired the maroon that was to open the event. His wife was granted a pension by the Institution.

1937

While launching on exercise on 10 June the lifeboat skidded down the slipway and four men working the winch were thrown from the handles. John Evans was struck by a handle and received fatal injuries. A pension was granted to his widowed mother.

1966

D Class lifeboat sent to station in May.

1976

Watson - Motor class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by an Arun class lifeboat.

1981

The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain/Mechanic Norman Quillin and crew members Eric Quillin and William Halsall in recognition of their skill, determination and initiative when the lifeboat rescued two of the crew of the yacht Melfort which went aground on rocks at Derby Haven about 80 yards on the seaward side of the breakwater in an east-south-easterly gale and a rough sea on 17 May 1981.

1994

New D class lifeboat D462 placed on service on 13 July.

1995

Centenary Vellum awarded to station.

1998

New Trent class lifeboat placed on service 21 May.

2001

His Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, President of the Institution visited the station on 30 October accompanies by the Chairman of the Institution Mr Peter Nicholson and the Lieutenant Governor of the Isle of Man, His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor Air Marshal Ian MacFadyen CB,OBE.

2004

A Framed Letter signed by the Chairman or the Institution, Mr Peter Nicholson, awarded to Second Coxswain Michael Kneale in recognition of his initiative, leadership and first class seamanship when the lifeboat brought in the large disabled fishing vessel Paramount on 24 November 2003.