The station at Tobermory, Isle of Mull, was closed in November 1947, owing to manning difficulties, and in the following January a station was established in its place at Mallaig, on the mainland.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Coxswain Ian B Watt for the rescue of the crew of 62 from MV Tapti of London which had run aground on the Eileen Soa rocks in Gunna Sound between the islands of Tiree and Coll in a north westerly gale and rough seas on 17 January 1951.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain I B Watt for the rescue of 14 from the German vessel Heinrich Sieghold on 27 October.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Second Coxswain C Henderson for the rescue of five adults and two children who were stranded on a cliff on 14 September.
Barnett class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by an Arun class.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Acting Mechanic Ian Angus MacNaughton in recognition of the initiative and determination displayed by him when, by diving under water from the lifeboat Sir Max Aitken, on temporary duty at Mallaig, and recovering and supporting a drowning man, he assisted in the rescue of the crew of three of the fishing vessel LBP which had struck rocks and was sinking in a slight north easterly breeze and a smooth sea on 21 August 1986.
Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain/Mechanic Thomas Ralston in recognition of his courage, determination and skill when the lifeboat The Davina and Charles Matthews Hunter, under his command, rescued the crew of two from the fishing vessel Galilean and saved the vessel in a violent northerly storm and very rough seas on 27 October 1988.
Proposals for improved shore facilities drawn up and approved. The work was completed in September.
Crew member Patrick Morrison suffered a heart attack three minutes after the all weather lifeboat had launched on service on 5 October. The lifeboat returned to shore and he was taken to hospital but he sadly died on 9 October.
A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Admiral the Lord Boyce was awarded to Coxswain Michael Ian Currie in recognition of his command decision making and seamanship when, on 2 November 2010, the station lifeboat under his command took in tow the disabled motor vessel Red Duchess. The Red Duchess was being sent onto a lee shore at Rhum by a severe westerly gale. Not only were the crew of six saved, as well as the vessel, but severe environmental damage was averted.
One Bronze Medal awarded in 1989.