Station history

1860

A Peake type SR lifeboat Miriam, built at a cost of £156, was placed on service in November.

1861

Lifeboat house erected at a cost of £140.

1871

A new SR lifeboat James Sturm, built at a cost of £277, was placed on service. At the same time a new launching carriage costing £105 was installed 

1885

Lifeboat house and site purchased by Great North of Scotland Railway for £120, in order that they could extend their line.

A new boathouse was built on the quayside at a cost of £448.

1889

A new SR lifeboat James Sharp (ON244), built at a cost of £441, was placed on service.

1890

Silver Medals awarded to Peter Fernie and William Raich for wading into the water at great risk and rescuing the crew of three of the German Smack Industrie which had stranded near Cluny Harbour in a strong north-north-easterly gale and a very rough sea on 26 October 1890.

Gas service provided to lifeboat house.

1908

A new Watson class non SR lifeboat Maria Stephenson (ON581), built at a cost of £1120, was placed on service.

1820

Station adapted for a motor lifeboat at a cost of over £12,000.

1922

A new Watson class non SR motorised lifeboat KBM (ON681), built at a cost of £8,179, was placed on service in August and the James Sharp transferred to the Reserve Fleet.

A new boathouse, constructed with an internal cradle instead of a slipway, costing £15,000, was built to accommodate the new lifeboat.

1942

Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain F Mair, when nine people were rescued from an RAF high speed launch on the night of 15 September during a strong west-north-west wind with a heavy sea.  This was a difficult service carried out with skill and courage.  During the service the lifeboat was lifted by a heavy sea and crashed heavily on the rocks.  Afterwards it was found that her bottom had been badly damaged.  The whole boat was flooded except for the engine room and petrol compartments, and she was kept afloat only by her air-cases.

1949

On 8 January the lifeboat went to the assistance of the steamer Frej of Stockholm in a whole gale with a very heavy sea, and took off nineteen of her crew.  The lifeboat went alongside the steamer seven times and sustained damage.  For this service the Swedish Lifeboat Society awarded the Institution its plaque of merit and a Diploma to the lifeboat station.

A new Watson class non SR motorised lifeboat Glencoe, Glasgow (ON857), built at a cost of £11,855, was placed on service in November and the KBM transferred to the Reserve Fleet.

1960

Centenary Vellum awarded to station.

The Glencoe, Glasgow was transferred to the Reserve Fleet in June and replaced by the Watson class H.C.J. (ON708), which had previously been on service at Thurso. A few days later she was replaced by another Reserve Fleet boat W.&S. (ON736), previously on service at Penlee.

1961

In June the Laura Moncur (ON958), a new Watson class motorised non SR lifeboat, built at a cost of £35,500, was placed on service and the W.&S. returned to the Reserve Fleet.

1967

Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain George Jappy for the rescue of the crew of eight of the fishing boat Briar Rose on 10 October.  The fishing boat was aground on the West Muck rocks and the coxswain had to approach the casualty three times in hazardous conditions to effect the rescue of eight men.

1968

Bronze Medal awarded to coxswain George Jappy for rescuing the crew of six from the motor fishing vessel Mistletoe on 21 February 1968.  The Mistletoe had grounded off the mouth of the River Spey and she was pounding and rolling heavily about 350 yards from the beach in a heavy confused swell.

1972

In March the Laura Moncur was sent to be converted to SR and was replaced by the Reserve Fleet Watson class lifeboat Pentland (Civil Service No 32)

1975

The Laura Moncur returned to service 

1984

Watson class lifeboat Laura Moncur withdrawn and replaced by the Arun class lifeboat Charles Brown (ON1093), built at a cost of £384,000, in April.

1987

Framed Letters of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution awarded to Coxswain John Murray and his crew in recognition of their teamwork and dedication when the lifeboat escorted the yacht Samphire safely into Macduff Harbour and rescued the crew of four of the yacht Monsun of Ekero and saved the boat in a strong east-south-easterly wind and very rough seas on 17/18 July.

1991

A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution was awarded to Coxswain John Murray for his leadership, determination and skill when three crew members were rescued from the fishing vessel Fidelity on 17 August.  The casualty was aground on the East Muck and was listing and rolling 40º to starboard.

1995

New shore facility and pontoon berth constructed.  The new shore facility includes an ambulance/resuscitation area and improved crew facilities.

2003

The new station Severn class lifeboat William Blannin (ON1268), built at a cost of £1,900,000, was placed on service on 28 May and the Charles Brown transferred to the Reserve Fleet.

2009

The Trustees voted the award of a 150th year anniversary Vellum in 2010.

MEDAL RECORD

Three Medals have been awarded to the men of Buckie, two Silver and one Bronze, the last being voted in 1968.