Berwick Upon Tweed's station history
Silver Medal awarded to Lieut H Baillie RN, for the rescue by boat of L P Selstrom, Master of the Swedish schooner Cupido and five crewmen on 26 December 1833. Three Coastguard men and 11 Spittal Pilots were given monetary rewards for their part in the rescue.
New boathouse was built on Spittal Beach.
New Palmer Class lifeboat, built at a cost of £64, was placed on service in January.
Gold Medal awarded to Lieut D Rymer RN for the rescue by lifeboat of six seamen from the schooner Margaret that ran aground near Spittal in heavy seas on 8 April 1838.
Silver Medal awarded to Lieut E B Nott RN, when with six other men he rescued with a fishing coble, the Master, four men, one woman, and three children from the schooner Diana, that was driven onto rocks and wrecked on 19 September 1838.
Lifeboat deemed as unfit for service and taken out of service.
Silver Medal awarded to Dr FS Cahill for a service on 17 June when a small boat was observed passing the entrance of the Tweed and running into a dangerous position, where her loss would have been certain. Dr Cahill of Berwick persuaded the Master of a small steam tug to go to her rescue, in which he went himself with two other volunteers, in addition to the Master and two men forming the crew of the ferry boat. The boat was reached just in time saving a seaman and his wife from destruction. A heavy sea was on the bar at the time and the steamer was thrown on her broadside when running over it on her return.
A new Peake Class lifeboat, built at a cost of £156, was placed on service in October.
Member of crew washed out of lifeboat whilst on service on 22 March to Heinnick Gerdes of Rostock. Fortunately he was recovered.
The station was first established in 1835 by a local association at the request of the Coastguard. There was no lifeboat at the station between 1852 and 1855