Taking a Risk
When was the last time you took a risk – and what could have gone wrong?
- 30 minutes
- Required: sticky notes
- Optional: display equipment
- Optional: printer
- Stop and think
This short activity gets students thinking about the reasons we take risks. It looks at the motivations for risky behaviour and the implications of this behaviour on other people if something goes wrong.
Tell me more
Risk taking is a normal and vital part of life, but sometimes risks aren’t calculated well – and confidence or lack of experience can impair people’s ability to calculate a safe outcome.
Students will identify and discuss the last risk they took, using stick figure drawings. The activity gives an opportunity to talk about the importance of sharing and learning from our mistakes. But it also considers the seriousness of taking risks around open water, where we may not get a second chance.
- England KS3, PSHE Health & Wellbeing
- Northern Ireland KS3, LLW, Personal Development
- Republic of Ireland SPHE, Personal Safety
- Scotland Third & Forth Level, PSE / HWB
- Wales KS3, Health and emotional well-being