Donate now

Multiple calls for Poole RNLI during Storm Francis

Lifeboats News Release

The initial 'call out' was at 3.30pm, Tuesday (August 25) when Poole’s D-class was tasked by UK Coastguard to a report of a capsized dinghy with 2 people in the water near North Haven Yacht Club.

The D-class was soon on scene, however when the volunteers arrived the people were ashore and all sorted, they explained that the dinghy had capsized on its mooring and they had swam out to recover it, so it was a call with good intent.

As all was safe and well, the lifeboat crew returned back to station. Then at 3.50pm the Atlantic was requested to launch to a report of a 36ft yacht, it was thought that it had broken free from its mooring and had drifted into the Condor Liberation, the channel Islands ferry that was alongside the Ro-Ro.

When the lifeboat arrived on scene they found the yacht was against the wall in between the Condor and a Jack-up-barge.

Conditions were rough with the waves bouncing up off the wall, the south westerly wind gusting 6-8 was relentless.

When the lifeboat arrived on scene they went to the sheltered side of the Ro-Ro terminal and put a member of crew ashore to access the vessel, a line was put across using a heaving line, the lifeboat then towed the yacht off the wall and brought it to a mooring in the close by Port of Poole Marina.

It was evident that the vessel had broken away from its mooring as there was a broken shackle on the bow and as it was all locked up, it appeared that nobody had been on-board.

As all was safe and secure the lifeboat returned to station, refuelled and wash down, it was ready for service just after 5.30pm.

A little while later after 7pm, the Atlantic was requested to launch to another yacht that had broken free from its mooring.

The 23 ft yacht had been battered by the south west winds and was to the west of the Condor Liberation alongside one of Jenkins Marine barges.

The lifeboat went alongside and got close enough to get a rope on and managed to tow the yacht clear, sadly the yacht had sustained extensive damage.

The lifeboat crew took the vessel to Port of Poole and moored it alongside the other casualty vessel.

Once secured they returned to station, washed down, sanitized and refuelled. The lifeboat was made ready for service by 9pm.

Volunteer Helm Jonathan Clark said;
‘Conditions out there were lively; the condition of the vessels would have been a lot worse, if they had been left any longer, pounding against the wall and barge. We would advise all boat owners, when it’s safe to do so, to check their moorings, make sure that their mooring lines, ropes and chains are in good condition and of adequate size, for your vessel’.


Poole Lifeboat approaching the pinned yacht

Key facts about the RNLI

The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.

Learn more about the RNLI

For more information please visit the RNLI website or Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. News releases, videos and photos are available on the News Centre.

Contacting the RNLI - public enquiries

Members of the public may contact the RNLI on 0300 300 9990 (UK) or 1800 991802 (Ireland) or by email.