Service of dedication for new RNLI standard
A service of dedication for a new RNLI standard for Weymouth lifeboat station took place at Holy Trinity Church on Sunday 3rd November.
The standard, which was commissioned and mostly paid for by the Weymouth and Portland Branch of the Merchant Navy Association, was conducted by Canon Rev. Andrew Gough.
The ceremony was well attended both by members of the MNA WP&D Branch, mostly all in uniform and by members of the Lifeboat Station including the immediate past and present LOMs, several DLAs, the former chairman, the treasurer and the Lifeguard Manager as well as several members of the crew.
A large proportion of people present in the church accepted an invitation by Capt. Paul Compton of the MNA to join him for a Pussers Rum at the RAFA afterwards, where Lifeboat Operations Manager Nicki Ayling proposed a toast of thanks to Paul and the MNA WP&D Branch for having donated most of the money for the new standard.
Key facts about the RNLI
The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.