Cycle Mayday for RNLI
Flint RNLI held the last of their ‘Mayday’ events last Saturday with a cycle event along the coastal path from Connahs Quay to Chester.
Over 30 cyclists took part in the first ‘Flint RNLI Big Dee Family Cycle’ event raising over £500 for the Mayday appeal, money from the appeal will be used provide lifesaving equipment for the volunteer lifeboat crew.
Sam Morton-Roberts from the RNLI fundraising committee said ‘this is the first event of this type that we have organised, and we hope it will become an annual event all day. We would like to thank St John’s Ambulance for their help on the day; also like our volunteer helpers and all the cyclists who took part. Sincere thanks to all of our supporters who have contributed over £1700 to the Mayday appeal’
Report from Richard Polden Flint RNLI volunteer press officer, telephone 01745590331 or 07496770576
Notes to editors
- Flint RNLI lifeboat station was established 1966. To learn more about the lifeboat station go to www.rnli.org.uk/flint
- Since 1966 Flint Lifeboat has launch over 700 times, saved 100 lives, and rescued a further 148 people.
· Flint lifeboat and its volunteers responded to 14 calls in 2018
· Flint lifeboat and its volunteers have responded to 3 calls in 2019
· Potential lifeboat crew and fundraising volunteers, contact Alan Forrester on 07785593247
RNLI media contacts
Richard Polden, Flint RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer on 01745590331 or 07496770596 or Danielle Rush, RNLI Media Relations Manager in Wales on 01745585162 or 07786668829 or RNLI Press Office 01202336789.
Key facts about the RNLI
The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and, in a normal year, more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.