Torbay RNLI Yellow Welly Relay planned for Saturday 6 May cancelled
Owing to the weather forecast for this Saturday (6 May) in Torbay, the planned Yellow Welly Relay fundraising event (involving Torbay’s RNLI volunteer crew assisted by Brixham Gig Club rowers) will not now go ahead.
The relay event - planned as Torbay’s contribution to the RNLI’s national Mayday campaign - was intended to help raise £750,000 to be used to fund essential kit for the charity’s brave volunteer lifeboat crews.
The plan was for the RNLI volunteer lifeboat crew to row a Yellow Welly aboard a gig (accompanied by the all-weather lifeboat) first to Torbay lifeboat station, then Haldon Pier Torquay, and eventually to Babbacombe Pier to be handed to a representative for onward relay to Teignmouth lifeboat station, with stops at each point.
However, a predicted sea swell of over seven feet together with heavy rain is forecast in the area of Torbay for Saturday, meaning that unfortunately the event cannot safely go ahead. Visitors still wishing to purchase special Yellow Welly souvenirs to mark the Mayday campaign can visit the Torbay RNLI’s kiosk and shop (both located in Brixham) to pick up their Wellies and help support fundraising.
Notes to editors
For more information on the RNLI’s national May Day fundraising day, visit:
RNLI Yellow Wellies (credit: RNLI/Library Photo)
Torbay Lifeboat Station Key Facts:
- Torbay lifeboat station has been operating since 1866. To learn more about the station go to: https://rnli.org/find-my-nearest/lifeboat-stations/torbay-lifeboat-station
- Coxswain of Torbay Lifeboat is Mark Criddle; Second Coxswain is Richard Fowler
- Further information on Torbay Lifeboat Station’s local activities can be found at: http://www.torbaylifeboat.co.uk/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rnlitorbay
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/RNLITorbay