Tobermory's Station history
In January, the Institution decided to establish an additional station on the west coast of Scotland. Tobermory was chosen as being the only practicable location on this part of the coast.
Lifeboat ON801 Sir Arthur Rose was built for Tobermory at the yard of Alexander Robertson & Sons, Sandbank, Dunoon. After building the boat was exhibited at the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, from May to October.
The station closed because of manning difficulties.
Station re-opened in May.
Waveney class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by Arun class.
Lock-up garage and store adjacent to Mishnish Pier bought to provide improved crew facilities for the sum of £10,000.
Garage was refurbished. This work comprised of the conversion of the original five ground floor garages to form a separate office for HM Coastguard, housing for the boarding boat and improved crew facilities.
New alongside berth completed.
The new station Severn class lifeboat ON1270 Elizabeth Fairlie Ramsay was placed on service on 20 August 2003. This lifeboat was funded by the legacies of Mrs E F Ramsay, Miss J T Towers & Mrs Isabel Paton Scoular.