Silloth's station history
Lifeboat Emma Frisby capsized whilst on exercise without loss of life.
All-weather lifeboat station closed.
Inshore lifeboat station established in August with a D class lifeboat. The 1860 boathouse was re-acquired and converted to house the ILB.
The D class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by an Atlantic 21.
Boathouse extended in order to provide housing for the launching tractor.
A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman, Mr Michael Vernon was presented to Helmsman David Litt in recognition of his courage and seamanship when he manoeuvred the lifeboat amongst rocks to rescue three boys stranded off Southerness Point on a rising tide, and in danger of being swept off by four foot breaking waves on 19 March.
Atlantic 21 withdrawn and replaced by an Atlantic 75 class lifeboat B714 which was placed on service on 27 July.
New boathouse was constructed on the site of the old boathouse, which was of insufficient size to accommodate the new Atlantic 75 lifeboat, it also provides a souvenir sales outlet and improved crew facilities. A new purpose built slipway was also constructed adjacent to the public slipway.
HRH The Duchess of Kent named Silloth's new Atlantic 75 lifeboat Spirit of Cumbria and opened the new boathouse on 11 October.
A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Peter Nicholson, awarded to Helmsman Steven Henderson for a difficult and dangerous service on the night of 26 November 2002 when the lives of two people were saved from the yacht Susilla in southerly Force 7/8 winds and shallow water.
A new station Atlantic 85 class lifeboat B828 Elain and Don Wilkinson was placed on service on Saturday 15 November. This lifeboat was funded by the generous bequest of Mr Donald Wilkinson. Lifeboat B 714 Spirit of Cumbria has been withdrawn.
In 1956 four men, Joseph Bell, Stanley Graham, John Johnstone and Alexander Black Ramsay lost their lives when a fire service rescue boat overturned whilst trying to save a man stranded in Skinburness Marsh.