Station history

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution opened a station at Old Cart Gap in 1866 after the Secretary of Bacton station recommended the establishment.

1866

Lifeboat house built at Old Cart Gap - cost £189.

1884

Lifeboat capsized whilst on service to Schooner Edith of Padstow on 23 January, fortunately without loss of life.  The lifeboat was swept across the wreck.

The Institution’s Thanks on Vellum was accorded to Rev. J. Slater in recognition of his many years of dedicated service as Station Honorary Secretary.

1886

Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain John Cannon on retirement in acknowledgment of his long and valuable service.

1890

A sum of £5 gratuity to widow of William Wilkins, who had been lender of the horses on the occasion of every service and exercise since the formation of the station 23 years ago.

1911

Acetylene beach light supplied.

1926

Station closed.

1965

Inshore lifeboat station established with the placing on service of a D class lifeboat in June.

1987

New boathouse constructed, including crew facilities.

1994

New D class lifeboat D468 Colin Martin placed on service on 13 September.

1994

New D class lifeboat D468 Colin Martin placed on service on 13 September.

1998

Proposals for improved crew facilities were drawn up and approved.  The work was completed in March.

2003

The new station D class lifeboat D607 Spirit of Berkhamsted was placed on service on 22 October.  This lifeboat was funded by an appeal run by the volunteers of the Berkhamsted and District Branch.

2009

The relief Atlantic 75, B-710 Friendly Forester II was placed on service for evaluation trials on 9 April.

A new ramp was built to aid the launching of the lifeboat at a total cost of £350,000.

2010

The Trustees of the RNLI at their meeting on 3 November confirmed that a B class ILB be co-located at Happisburgh.

Long term temporary facilities completed in June at a cost of £150,000.

2012

The new station Atlantic 75 B-742 Douglas Paley was placed on service October 2012. This lifeboat was funded by the ancient order of Friendly Foresters Society.  Lifeboat B-710 Friendly Forester II has been withdrawn.