Station history

1865

Lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £190 on site given by the Duchesse de Coigny.

1890

Gas and water services provided.

1898

The Thanks of the Institution was awarded to Mr McKenna and Mr C Lawson for riding a tandem from Girvan to Ballantrae, a distance of 13 miles, giving information of a vessel in distress as the telegraph system had broken down.  The cyclists arrived at 3 o’clock in the morning covered in mud and soaked by rain.

1899

£25 paid as compensation to the owner of a horse which died after an exercise of the lifeboat.

1910

Lifeboat house reconstructed on a new site at a cost of £800.

1965

Centenary Vellum awarded to station.

1976

Lifeboat ON909 James and Barbara Aitken fouled propeller and drove on rocks, becoming a constructive total loss.

1993

New shore facility constructed.  It includes a store and improved crew facilities.

The new station Mersey Class lifeboat ON1196 Silvia Burrell was placed on service.

2004

A new berth completed in March at a cost of £202,390.