Station history

From 1859 until 1922 the lifeboat station was at Polkerris.  The station has been named at various times Fowey (1859), Polkerris (1892), Polkerris and Fowey (1896), Polkerris (1905) and finally Fowey.

1826

Gold Medal awarded to Lt Else RN, for the rescue by coastguard boat of the crew of eight of the ship Providence wrecked off Polkerris on 26 August 1826.  The alarm was raised about 3pm, by which time the crew of eight had been washed overboard.  Giving orders for a coastguard gig to be launched Lt Else and another man launched a 14ft punt and managed to get three of the crew on board before being driven into the rocks by heavy surf.  The punt was retrieved with survivors on board and the gig brought the other five ashore under the supervision of Lt Else.

1829

Silver Medal awarded to chief officer of coastguard, Mr G Crosswell, for the rescue of the crew of five of the sean boat Diligence that was sinking in a heavy gale on 19 August 1829.

1856

Silver Medals were awarded to Captain Norcock RN, coastguard, Thomas Henwood and Richard Jones for their gallant rescue of the only survivor of the schooner Endeavour of Ipswich, wrecked in a gale, near Gribbon Point on 6 May 1856.

1865

The lifeboat was taken to Falmouth on occasion of the launch and demonstration of that lifeboat and took part in a race with lifeboats from Cadgwith, Lizard, Mullion, Penzance, Sennen Cove, Porthleven, Looe and Falmouth.  The Looe lifeboat came in first.

Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain, Joshua Heath, for the rescue of the crew of 13 from the barque Dryden and nine men from the brig Wearmouth, both of which vessels stranded at Par Sands during a hurricane on 25 November 1865.

1893

Silver Medals were awarded to William Robins, Edwin Robins, George Bishop and Frederick Perring for the rescue, on 14 February 1893, at great risk to the crew of two of the boat Dieu Protégé, which capsized in a west south westerly gale entering Par Harbour.  The two occupants swam to a buoy to which they clung until rescued.

1894

Flagstaff erected at East Cliff for signalling to Par.

1904

New lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £850.

1905

Arrangements made to provide horses for exercise for 6/ - per horse, day service 10/ - per horse, and night service 15/ - per horse, drivers included.

1906

Silver Medal awarded to Mr William Penrose for a very gallant attempt to rescue the crew of the brig Mary that was wrecked at the mouth of Fowey Harbour during a south easterly gale on 31 December 1905.

1910

Acetylene Beach Light supplied.

1918

Owing to the difficulty of obtaining horses pushing poles were supplied to this station.

1947

Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Joseph Watters, for the rescue of the crew of seven of the motor vessel Empire Contamar near the Callyvardour Rock in Par Bay on 23 March 1947.  All that could be seen of the vessel above the water was her bow and poop.  Her crew was on the poop up to their waists in water; at times it was coming right over them and the tide was rising.  It was a difficult and perilous rescue in heavy seas and darkness.

1958

Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was awarded to J Turpin, assistant mechanic, who swam ashore from the lifeboat in broken water to assist two people cut off by the tide.

1959

Centenary Vellum presented to station.

1987

A Brede class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by a Waveney class lifeboat.

1996

A new launching davit for the D class lifeboat has recently been installed opposite the proposed new shore facility in Berrills Yard.

Waveney class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced by Trent class lifeboat.

D class lifeboat placed on station on 2 August.

1997

New D class lifeboat D-526 placed on service on 30 September.

1998

Proposals for new crew facilities were drawn up and approved.  Work commenced in March 1997.  The facilities provided housing for a D class lifeboat, fuel and oil stores.  The work was completed in March.

2003

Proposals for new crew facilities were drawn up and approved.  Work commenced in March 1997.  The facilities provided housing for a D class lifeboat, fuel and oil stores.  The work was completed in March.

2004

New pontoon berth completed at a cost of £63 ,247.

2006

A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution Admiral Sir Jock Slater, awarded to Coxswain Keith Stuart in recognition of the contribution made by him and his crew when the Fowey ALB assisted in the service to the m/v Galina on the night of 2/3 November 2005.  This service, with the Falmouth ALB, resulted in the coxswain at Falmouth being awarded the Bronze Medal.

2007

The new station IB1 D class lifeboat D-681 Olive Two was placed on service on 28 September 2007.  This lifeboat was generously funded by The Olive Herbert Charitable Trust.  Lifeboat D526 has been withdrawn.

2008

The trustees of the RNLI voted on 5 November to award Fowey Lifeboat Station an Anniversary Vellum to mark 150 years of service in 2009.  

MEDAL RECORD

Twelve medals have been awarded, one Gold, 10 Silver and one Bronze, the last being voted in 1947.