Station history

1869

Station established.  Lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £170.

1870

Silver Medal awarded to Rev Owen Lloyd Williams, Honorary Secretary, for the rescue of 13 men from the ship Kenilworth on 14/15 January 1870.

1872

Slipway constructed at a cost of £70.

1879

Silver Second-Service clasp awarded on 2 January to Rev Williams for ‘…his continued intrepid services in the Abersoch and Porthdinllaen lifeboats’.

1894

Station removed to Black Point.  Lifeboat house and slipway constructed at a cost of £1,350.

1897

A watch-room constructed at a cost of £137.

1901

Additional flagstaff and signal post erected on the hill above Ceriad Bay.

1931

Station closed.

1965

Inshore lifeboat station established with D class lifeboat in June.

1972

Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Helmsman Barrie McGill and crew member Michael Bosley in recognition of their skill and fine seamanship when the inshore lifeboat, in co-operation with the Pwllheli lifeboat rescued two men by breeches buoy from the rocks at Cilan Head on 25 June.

1977

Framed Letters of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution were presented to Helmsman Barrie McGill, crew members N Loughlin and M Davies for their service in the inshore lifeboat when a climber fell 35 feet into the sea on 13 April.

1978

The citizens of Wolverhampton raised over £30,000 in a special appeal that funded a boathouse, launching equipment and an Atlantic 21 lifeboat.  The cheque was presented to the Chairman of the Institution, Major General Ralph Farrant, at the London Boat Show on 6 January.  D class lifeboat withdrawn and replaced with an Atlantic 21 lifeboat named Wolverhampton.

1986

A sea defence wall, as protection for the boathouse, was constructed after the bank adjacent to the boathouse suffered damage by erosion during the 1985 spring tides.

1987

Boathouse was extended to enable the lifeboat, trolley, and tractor to be coupled at all times.

1994

New boathouse was constructed.  As well as housing the Atlantic 21 class lifeboat and tractor coupled-in-line, it includes improved crew facilities.

2001

Helmsman Richard Hughes and crew member Simon Harris both accorded the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum for the rescue of a girl and her dog from a rock in darkness and rough seas on the evening of 26 October 2000.

2002

The Trustee Meeting held on 27 November decided that Abersoch Lifeboat Station be awarded a Vellum to commemorate the completion of an aggregate of 100 years service in 2003.

The new station Atlantic 75 lifeboat B-790 Margaret Bench of Solihull was placed on service. This lifeboat was funded by the Solihull Branch appeal.. Lifeboat B-582 Borough of Solihull has been withdrawn.

2009

For services to the Institution, LOM Barrie McGill has been honoured by Her Majesty the Queen in the recent Birthday Honours; - Member, Order of the British Empire (MBE).

MEDAL RECORD

Two Silver medals have been awarded, the last being voted in 1879.