St Albans District Fundraising Branch
Established in 1920, the Branch will be celebrating its centenary in 2020.
The Branch has directly funded three lifeboats:
- an early Liverpool class boat which served at New Quay Cardiganshire 1948-70
- a B class inshore rescue boat at Burnham on Crouch 1969-73
- a prototype (wooden hulled) Atlantic class 21 at West Mersea 1972-6
Substantial annual fund raising continues under the leadership of our Chairman Jean McCann, gold badge and bar, still very active aged 92. Regular activities include the sale of souvenirs at local events, a quiz night, talks about the RNLI to schools and groups, a Christmas sale of cards and calendars, outings and both street and store collections.
Special events in 2020 will include:
- a series of illustrated lectures on “Maritime St Albans” highlighting connections, past and present, of a land-locked city with the sea through RNLI, Royal Navy and much else;
- a presentation, we hope with appropriate tastings, about the interesting lifeboat stations associated with breweries;
- at least one outing to a lifeboat station;
- a major celebration party in October to include some RNLI films and brief talks from interesting people who today are keeping up the links between St Albans and the sea.
The Branch committee is keen to hear from any lifeboat enthusiasts and supporters who live in Hertfordshire. Please make contact via the e-mail address.
Store and street collectors, especially during Lifeboat week. Committee members.
Please contact the branch for opportunities or check our volunteering vacancies.
For more information on upcoming meetings, please contact the group by emailing email@example.com.