Cold Water Impact
Learn what happens to your body in cold water.
- 30 minutes
- Required: buckets, cold water, paper towels and stop watches
- Optional: display equipment
- Stay together
A practical experiment designed to measure the body’s responses to cold water immersion. Children learn about the automatic responses that can’t be controlled; the activity reinforces what to do if they find themselves unexpectedly in cold water.
Tell me more
A question and answer session about what happens to different parts of your body in cold water is followed by a chilly experiment using a bowl of ice-cold water.
There’s also a video included to show the effects of cold water shock.
- England KS2 PSHE Health & Wellbeing
- Northern Ireland KS1&2, PD&MU, Personal Understanding and Health
- Republic of Ireland SPHE, Myself
- Scotland First & Second Level, PSE / HWB
- Wales KS2, PSE, Health and emotional well-being
- Cold Water Impact - Guidance notes - PDF 3.7MB
- Cold Water Impact - Workshop slides - PDF 5.4MB
- Cold Water Impact - Worksheet - PDF 423KB