Weather and Sailing 2022
Weather and Sailing 2022, the joint Royal Institute of Navigation (RIN) and Royal Meteorological Society (RMetS) one-day seminar will take place at the RNLI Training College, Poole on 1st October, 2022.
Speakers lined up to take part in the Seminar include:
- Christian Dumard, Squid: Data sources and software for marine weather routing
- Simon Rowell, Meteorologist, British Sailing Team: Guesstimating the micro from the macro – using freely available forecast & observation data to help sailors make better & faster on the water decisions
- Ronan Boyle, Irish Lights: MetOcean buoys
- Ian Rivers, Row Sentinel: The weather - and some other challenges - when rowing the Atlantic single-handed
- Alex Evans, RNLI: Weather factors in RNLI yacht rescues
- RYA: Developments in RYA Training about weather
- Libby Greenhalgh: Weather and Navigation in the Volvo Ocean Race
Prior to the start of the Seminar, a tour of the RNLI Training College Facilities has been arranged (additional cost). This tour will start promptly at 9am and will last for approx. 45 mins. Places on the tour are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis to delegates who have registered for the seminar and requested a place on the tour. A tour waiting list will be in operation, once all the places have been filled.
Registration is now open to both members and non-members.
- Tickets are £45 per head for RIN/RMetS members and £55 per head for non-members. Ticket prices include lunch, refreshments and VAT.
- Tour cost: £7.50 per head.
Please note parking at the RNLI College is extremely limited however parking is available in local pay and display car parks.
For those unable to attend in-person, tickets for live online viewing are available, as follows:
- RIN/RMetS Members: £15 per head
- Non-Members: £25 per head.
See how our volunteer lifesaving volunteer crew and lifeguards are trained with a 90 minute behind the scenes tour of RNLI College.
Each tour is conducted by one of our dedicated volunteer tour guides, providing a passionate and insightful look at the work we do. Tours are available 7 days a week for up to 8 people per tour.
- Monday – Thursday 10.30am and 2pm
- Friday – 10.30 am and 3:30pm
- Saturday – 10.30am and 2pmSunday – 10.30am and 2pm
Please note the tour is a 90 minute walking tour. Wheelchair users are welcome however to allow us to provide the sufficient number of guides to support the tour please make us aware when making the booking. As an active training college, the College Discovery Tour may be changed at short notice due to Crew training requirements that are not suitable for public viewing.
All Weather Lifeboat Centre Tours
We are pleased to announce starting from 20th July our ALC tours are back!
Mondays at 11am and Wednesdays at 2:30pm
Learn how our lifeboats are made with a tour of our boatbuilding factory, the All-weather Lifeboat Centre, here in Poole.
- Tours cost £7.50 per person and last 90 minutes.
- With availability limited to a maximum of 12 (split into 2 groups of 6).
- Min age 10yrs old.
As this is a factory environment suitable footwear is required and high-viz vests will be provided. Anyone wearing open toed shoes or high heels will not be able to participate. Please make the team know of any limitations/requirements at the time of booking
Remember every £1 spent at the RNLI helps save lives at sea.
Group tours are now available for up to 30 people. Lunch in a private room can also be arranged for all tour groups. For group enquiries please contact [email protected].