Lymington RNLI crew called to search for yacht with engine failure
Scheduled training turns into a real search for the volunteers at Lymington RNLI station.
With the crew already on station for their Monday evening training, Lymington RNLI were called at 6.40pm on Monday 15 October to join the search for a yacht that had broken off a mobile 999 call to the coastguard whilst reporting engine failure.
Unable to re-establish communications the coastguard and search assets had only sketchy information as to the vessel’s location as being in sight of both Old Harry Rocks and the Needles.
Lymington RNLI crew aboard Relief Fleet Atlantic 85 lifeboat (B-880) Martin Frederick Whitehouse searched the eastern arc of Christchurch Bay, the Needles CG Mobile team covered the Isle of Wight shoreline and the all-weather Shannon class lifeboat George Thomas Lacy (ON 13-13) from Swanage RNLI was launched to search the western sector.
After covering an arc where they could see both distinctive chalk stack landmarks and assured that the vessel was not in their designated search area, Lymington RNLI Lifeboat was stood down and returned to station. Swanage RNLI ultimately found the single-handed casualty vessel off Bournemouth, some 4 miles east of Old Harry and took the vessel in tow to Poole in deteriorating visibility.
For further details refer to Swanage RNLI report at: swanagelifeboat.org.uk
Notice to Editors:
· For over 53 years, Lymington RNLI Lifeboat has provided search, rescue and lifesaving capability in the western Solent, Needles Channel and eastern sector of Christchurch Bay.
· Lymington RNLI’s own Atlantic 85 lifeboat (B-882) David Bradley is off station for investigation into an electronic systems anomaly.
· Location information - Old Harry Rocks is a distinctive chalk stack feature on the Purbeck Heritage Coast midway between Swanage and the Poole Harbour entrance.
RNLI Media Contacts:
- Peter Mills, Lymington RNLI Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer 07767 213583 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Dunt, Regional Media Officer (South East) on 0207 6207426, 07785 296252 email@example.com
· For enquiries outside normal business hours, contact the RNLI duty press officer on 01202 336789 email: firstname.lastname@example.org