Farewell to historic Llandudno RNLI base
In a few weeks' time Llandudno RNLI's lifeboat team will be closing the doors of the boathouse in Lloyd Street for the last time and moving to their new seafront lifeboat station at Craig-y-Don.
The old boathouse has been 'home' to Llandudno's lifeboats and their crews for 113 years, and to suitably mark the significance of the forthcoming closure the crew hosted a Farewell Afternoon Tea in the boat hall of the building on Sunday (6 August), an event attended by over 100 invited guests.
The attached pictures, which should be credited to RNLI, show:
Senior lifeboat crew members pictured during the event, recalling some of the outstanding rescue missions which set out from the old boathouse over the years. (L to R) - Former Coxswain (now Head Launcher) Dan Jones MBE, present Coxswain Graham Heritage, former Coxswain (now Training Co-ordinator) Robin Holden, and long-serving crewman Dave Roberts.
Notes to editors
For more information contact Alan Sharp, RNLI Llandudno Lifeboat Press Officer, on 01492 543315.
Key facts about the RNLI
The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and, in a normal year, more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.