Disabled fishing boat rescued by Redcar RNLI
The Redcar RNLI lifeboat was called into action early on 31 December 2016 when a fishing boat suffered mechanical failure three miles north east of Redcar.
The Atlantic 85 class lifeboat Leicester Challenge III launched from Redcar and found the boat approximately half a mile east of the Saltscar Buoy.
A tow was rigged and the stricken craft was taken to the beach at Marske, near Redcar, where an RNLI shore party had made their way by land to assist with recovering the boat to safety on the beach.
Notes to editors:
- Frame grab image shows the Redcar RNLI lifeboat approaching the broken down fishing boat. Credit RNLI/Redcar
- Redcar lifeboat station has been operating since 1802
- Redcar currently operates a B-class lifeboat named Leicester Challenge III, paid for by the people of Leicester, and an IB1-class lifeboat named Eileen May Loach-Thomas, paid from the legacy of the late Nicolas Thomas of Shropshire
- For more news, information and images go to www.redcarlifeboat.org.uk
- Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/redcarrnli
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/RedcarRNLI
RNLI media contacts:
For more information please contact Dave Cocks, RNLI Lifeboat Operations Manager on 07894 558 483, Alison Levett, RNLI PR Manager, North, on 01642 754828 or 07786 668912 or at email@example.com. Alternatively, contact Clare Hopps, RNLI Press Officer, North on 01642 754811 or 07824 518641 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact RNLI Public Relations on 01202 336789; email@example.com
Key facts about the RNLI
The RNLI charity saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 238 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and, in a normal year, more than 240 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK and Channel Islands. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824, its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 142,700 lives.