Face-to-face Will writing service
Write or update your Will for free with our partners, the National Free Wills Network and the Irish Free Wills Network.
How to write your Will face-to-face with a solicitor:
What you need to know:
- Appointments with a solicitor will be conducted in a Covid-safe way and in line with Government guidelines. Solicitors may offer video meetings or other alternatives for your appointment.
- To qualify for this free Wills service, you or your partner must be 18 years or over.
- One of our partners, the National Free Wills Network and the Irish Free Wills Network, will send you the names and addresses of at least two local firms of solicitors. We pay the National Free Wills Network a special rate for a local solicitor to write a simple Will and there is no cost to you.
- However, if your Will is more complicated you may be asked to pay an additional cost. This will be agreed between you and the solicitor beforehand, so you won’t suddenly face an unexpected bill.
- If you would like to visit a solicitor, please click the button below and tick the National/Irish Free Wills Network box.
- And your generosity will always be remembered – because once we are notified that we have received your gift, your name will be added to the side of a lifeboat along with the names of 10,000 other supporters who have left a gift in their Will to the RNLI.
Why is it important to make a Will?
A Will ensures your wishes will be carried out exactly as you want. If you do not have a valid Will your estate may be distributed according to intestacy rules and this may not be what you had in mind.
If you live with a partner you’re not married to, even if you have children together, you cannot inherit anything from their estate, and they cannot inherit anything from yours, unless you make your wishes known in a Will.
If you die without a Will, your estate will go to your blood relatives, and nothing to your partner. Our Free Wills Service is a good way to protect someone you love. If your circumstances change, you can also update your Will for free. This is sometimes referred to as a ‘codicil to Will’. Your solicitor will explain all the steps you need to take to ensure your Will is updated correctly and legally compliant.
A lot of people include a gift in their Will to the RNLI while they are using this service. You don’t have to, but we do hope you’ll consider it. Remember, any gift, large or small, will help the RNLI save lives at sea.