We pledged to provide every all-weather lifeboat crew with a 25-knot lifeboat by 2019. This means we will require at least 50 new Shannon class lifeboats in the next phase of saving lives at sea. We will build six all-weather lifeboats every year, as well as maintain our existing fleet.
So, to make this happen, we constructed a brand new All-weather Lifeboat Centre (ALC) at our headquarters in Poole, Dorset.
The facility brings every stage of the lifeboat building process under one roof, ensuring that we are fully equipped to build the next generation of lifeboats.
• two boat halls with flexible bays for manufacturing and maintaining lifeboats
• component manufacturing area
• launch, recovery and boat storage area
• paint preparation area with built in extraction system and heat curing facility
• workshop for supporting our inshore training fleet
• office facilities
• tools and equipment storage
• visitors’ viewing area.
Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), a charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736). Registered charity number 20003326 in the Republic of Ireland | RNLI (Trading) Ltd - 1073377, RNLI (Sales) Ltd - 2202240, RNLI (Enterprises) Ltd - 1784500 and RNLI College Ltd - 7705470 are all companies registered in England and Wales at West Quay Road, Poole, BH15 1HZ. Images and copyright © RNLI 2015.