30mins, Novice Kitchenhand
A favourite for mackerel lovers.
An old family recipe with luxuriously rich flavours.
Mary Price, RNLI Supporter
- 2lb potatoes
- spring onions
- 2 Arbroath smokies (or smoked mackerel)
- ½ pint double cream (substitute with crème fraiche if you’re counting the calories)
- ½ pint stock
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Slice the potatoes to the thickness of a £1 coin. Chop the spring onions and flake the fish off the bone.
- Grease a baking dish with butter and put in a layer of potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Follow with a layer of fish sprinkled with the chopped spring onions.
- Repeat the layers, ending with a potato layer.
- Mix the cream, stock and mustard, then pour over the fish and potatoes.
- Dot with butter, cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 mins in the middle of the oven.
- Remove foil for the final 10 minutes to allow to brown.
Recipe supplied by Mary Price, RNLI Supporter