30mins, Novice Kitchenhand
Derry Clarke’s Spiced Mackerel Wrapped in Pastry with Pickled Vegetables, Blackberry and Yoghurt
Derry Clark’s recipes features spiced mackerel in crispy pastry, served with crunch pickled vegetables, soft blackberries and cool natural yoghurt.
Quick and easy
- 4 x Mackerel Fillets Pin Boned & cut in two.
- 1 x tablespoon of spices or curry powder
- 2 x sheets of brick pastry or filo pastry
- 40g melted butter
- 1 x tablespoon chopped dill
- Juice of Half lemon
- 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 8 blackberries cut in half
- 3 shallots peeled and remove the petals
- ½ cucumber sliced
- ½ cup good quality white wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Cut sheets in half and brush one side with melted butter.
- Sprinkle the Mackerel with the spices, lemon juice and dill. Season.
- Place mackerel on pastry sheets, buttered side up, and roll.
- Brown on moderately hot pan in a little vegetable oil. Brown on both sides for 2/3 minutes and place on paper towel.
- Add white wine vinegar, water, sugar, fennel seeds and bay leaf to a pot and bring to boil.
- Add the shallot petals and simmer for 2 mins. Remove from heat. Cool and add the cucumber.
Recipe supplied by Derry Clarke