Derry Clarke’s Seared John Dory with Spicy Chick Peas & Chorizo
- 4 fillets John Dory
- 1 cup chick peas (soaked overnight) and boiled for 30 min
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon
- Star anise
- 1 Shallot peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved & dried
- Juice of half a lemon
- 50 ml olive oil
- Bunch of Basil (handful) shredded
- 2 tablespoons diced chorizo
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- White wine
- ¼ teaspoon tomato paste
- Place Star Anise, Taragon, Coriander, Cardamom, Cumin & Fennel on a roasting tray and place in the oven at 200 degrees for 1min. Grind spices for about 5mins.
- Heat a large pan over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and sweat off the chorizo shallot & garlic for 30 sec. Add tomatoes and all spices & paprika and cook for 1min add a little white wine and turn the heat right down add tomato paste, tomato sauce, chick peas and simmer over low heat for 10 min season with salt and pepper. Add basil & lemon juice.
- Season John Dory with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan, add a little vegetable oil and cook fillets of John Dory for 2 min skin side down; season with salt & pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Place sauce on a plate topped with John Dory. Enjoy!
- If John Dory is unavailable, feel free to try with any type of white fish!
Recipe supplied by Derry Clarke.