20mins, Novice Kitchenhand
Derry Clarke’s Cured Irish Salmon
- 1 kg salmon fillet
- 50g sea salt
- 50g sugar
- 50g fresh dill
- 1 tbsp white peppercorns
- 1 orange (juiced and keep rind)
- Vodka (optional)
- 1 ripe hass avocado, skinned, halved, stone retained
- 2 tbsp crème Fraiche
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Beetroot (simmer the beetroot for about 45mins)
- 8 x Peeled Baby Carrots
- 8 x Pearl or Baby Onions
- 4 x Baby Fennel or 1 Large cut into 4
- 1/2 Cucumber de-seeded and diced.
- 1 x table spoon fennel seeds
- 1 x Cup of good quality white wine vinegar
- ½ x cup of sugar
- 1 x table spoon of whole star anise
- 4 x Bay leaves
- Place salmon in deep tray.
- Mix the salt, sugar, rind of an orange and chopped dill.
- Sprinkle over the salmon.
- Cover salmon and refrigerate overnight.
- Wash off marinade and dry off the salmon.
- Blend the avocado, crème fraiche and lemon juice together in a food processor.
- Season to taste, then transfer to a bowl and pop the avocado stone into the middle (this stops the avocado from going brown)
- Seal with cling film and refrigerate.
- In a pot add carrots, baby onions, baby fennel & cucumber bring to the boil.
- Pour into a bowl of water & ice. Quarter the beetroot and place it in its own pickling liquid.
- In a saucepot add 1 cup of white wine vinegar, ½ cup of sugar, bay leaf, fennel seed & star anise and simmer.
- Take of the heat and let it cool.
- Slice the baby onions in half and add them to the pickling liquid. Also add the carrots, baby fennel & cucumber.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon of horseradish (freshly grated or jar).
- Slice salmon and serve with the pickled vegetables avocado cream and horseradish mayonnaise.
Recipe supplied by Derry Clarke.