Station established by the Institution in 1861 as a condition of a gift from the Misses Browne of Toxteth Park, Liverpool, in memory of their sister who died in 1860. The three sisters had been regular visitors to the town for many years.
The first coxswain, Hugh Jones, was a copper miner and it was the duty of his daughter, in the event of a service call, to rush to the top of the shaft, halfway up the Great Orme, and signal her father. Her method was to rap with a stone in a certain manner and up the shaft Hugh Jones would come and dash for the shore.
Lifeboat capsized whilst on service without loss of life.
Bell and flagpole used to summon crew.
Lifeboat capsized without loss of life whilst returning from a rescue of four men from the sailing boat Mira. The lifeboat, whilst under sail, was struck by a very violent and sudden squall.
Alarm bell was rung as a practical joke. A summons was issued and the gentleman concerned was fined £2 10 0d.
Second Coxswain Edward Jones died as a result of a cold thought to have been caught after the launch of the new lifeboat on 3 December.
Robert Williams, a helper, fell whilst running alongside the lifeboat on 7 November, and one of the wheels of the carriage passed over him and he was killed. Committee of Management voted £100 to local fund.
Arthur Whalley, a helper, fell under the carriage wheels whilst lifeboat was being taken out on service on 8 August 1892 and was killed. Committee of Management voted £100 to local fund.
Station to be known in future as Llandudno instead of Ormes Head as at present.
Launching poles supplied.
Owing to high charges, used of horses was discontinued and more helpers were employed.
New lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £1,300.
The death of John Williams was attributed to severe exposure on service on 22 February. Committee of Management voted £100 to dependants.
Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain John Owen for the rescue of two people from the schooner Ada Mary of Liverpool on 27 March 1919. The service was carried out in a north-westerly gale with a very heavy sea which, after burying the lifeboat three times before reaching the wreck, compelled the lifeboat to put into Colwyn Bay where the men were landed and the lifeboat drawn up.
On 1 June HM Submarine Thetis dived whilst on trials in Liverpool Bay. Llandudno lifeboat took out a doctor to the destroyer Somali. Ninety-nine lives were lost in this submarine disaster – four escaped by means of the Davis apparatus.
A anniversary Centenary Vellum awarded.
A D Class lifeboat sent to station in May.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Helmsman Robert Jones in recognition of his courage, determination and seamanship when the inshore lifeboat rescued a member of the crew of a sailing dinghy which went on the rocks at Little Orme, Llandudno Bay, in a fresh north easterly wind and a very rough sea on 27 April.
A special framed certificate was presented to the station in recognition of the services carried out by them under extremely difficult circumstances between 26 February and 1 March when, during hurricane force north westerly winds and very high tides, the area of Towyn and Pensarn suffered severe flooding. Llandudno lifeboatmen strove tirelessly for up to 16 hours each day and succeeded in helping over two hundred people to safety.
Alterations were made to the boathouse to accommodate the new Mersey class lifeboat. This included the installation of new steel concertina type main doors, a new boarding/viewing platform and a new 600 gallon fuel storage tank.
D class lifeboat D508 was placed on service on 2 October.
A Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution was awarded to Craig Roberts, duty officer at the Marina office at Conwy in recognition of his vigilance, initiative and prompt action when on 13 June he launched the marina’s dory after he heard cries for help emanating from outside the marina basin. On finding the direction of the shouts for help he found two people in the water, an exhausted woman was clinging to the stern ladder of a yacht and a man was holding onto an inflatable dinghy. He hauled both people on board and took them back to the marina.
The Trustees of the RNLI at their meeting on 3 November confirmed an anniversary Vellum to acknowledge the completion of 150 years service as a lifeboat station for 2011.
One Bronze medal awarded in 1919.