Situated on the Heritage coastline of Cardigan Bay, today’s two inshore lifeboats cover an area of beaches, secluded coves and towering cliffs. The crews have been presented with 15 awards for gallantry.
This station is classed as a Discover station. Our crews from Discover stations are equally welcoming to visitors but many of these stations were built before visitors were considered. These stations normally open their boathouse doors during the summer months.
Visit the station website
Cardigan RNLI volunteers have been nationally recognised by the First Minister of Wales, Carwyn Jones AM last night as they were awarded St David Bravery Award at a special ceremony in Cardiff Bay.
The Walter and Elizabeth Groombridge Award is awarded annually by the Committee of Management of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, if justified.
Two Cardigan RNLI volunteers have been recognised for outstanding skill and gallantry at sea for their part in the rescue of a couple off the west Wales coast, at a national awards ceremony held by the Shipwrecked Mariners’ Society.
See more news for Cardigan Lifeboat Station
No events currently available
Cardigan Lifeboat Station Poppit SandsCardigan Ceredigion SA43 3LN
Station opening times:
Sunday morning and Wednesday eveningcrew training Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings
Parking, Disabled Parking, Disabled Access, Maximum Group size 50
Mr Cliff Griffiths
Visitor contact telephone:
Shop opening hours:
Specific crew member details for this lifeboat station are not available here at the moment.
More than 4,800 lifeboat crew members around the UK and RoI drop everything when their pagers go off, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Only 1 in 10 crew members has a professional maritime occupation. Men and women of all ages and all walks of life crew the RNLI lifeboats around our coasts and waterways.
Lifeboat name: Tanni Grey
Lifeboat class: B Class
Funded by: Wales and West Mercia Appeal
Read more about the B class
Lifeboat name: Elsie Ida Meade
Lifeboat class: D class
Funded by: Elsie Ida Meade
Read more about the D class
The station was first established in 1849. In 1849 and in 1876 a new lifeboat house was constructed at a cost of £450.
1867The RNLI paid a £10 gratuity to the widow of crew member D Richards who caught a cold as a result of going on service on 6 January 1867.
1873Silver Medal awarded to Richard Jinks, Chief Officer of HM Coastguards, for saving the crew of two of the smack Ocean of Milford, which had been driven onto Cardigan Bar during a south-easterly wind and in heavy sea, on 13 September.
1880Breakwater constructed to protect the lifeboat house at a cost of £350.
1888Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain William Niles, for long service.
1901Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain David Rees, on his retirement.
1919Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Thomas Bowen, for a service to the ss Conservator which got into difficulties in Cardigan Bay in a north-westerly full gale, snow, and very heavy seas on 27 March. Despite seas washing over both vessels her 10 man crew was taken off and as the lifeboat was unable to return to station because of the weather conditions, she crossed the bar, ran up the river to Cardigan and landed the survivors there.
1971Station re-opened as an ILB station with the placing on service of a D class lifeboat.
1972Framed Letters of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution sent to crew members V Evans, R Evans and the Deputy Launching Authority, Mr J W Marr in recognition of the part they played in the rescue of four people after their boat capsized on the bar on 13 August. Mr Brian Francis, a fisherman, was accorded the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum for his part in the rescue. He was also awarded the Royal Humane Society’s Bronze Medal.
1979The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Helmsman Vernon Evans, in recognition of his skill and determination when the yacht Snow Rych was saved and her crew of four rescued after the yacht had broached on Cardigan Bay on 17 April.
1980Bronze Medal awarded to Helmsman Robert Reynolds, in recognition of the courage and seamanship displayed by him and The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum awarded to crew members Vernon Evans and Charles Sharp when on 15 August in seas estimated to be 16 feet or more, they went to the assistance of an 18 foot motor cruiser with four people and a dog on board. Reaching the casualty Helmsman Reynolds drove the lifeboat onto the vessel amidships enabling the two lifeboat crewmembers to grab a boy who was firmly grasping a dog and haul him aboard. An attempt to rescue a woman was frustrated as she was holding firmly onto her husband. Another approach was made and the owner of the cruiser was grabbed. At this point the coxswain decided to land these survivors on the beach after which he returned to the casualty, drove the bow of the lifeboat onto the cruiser and the remaining couple were pulled aboard.
1987A D class lifeboat withdrawn and a C class lifeboat placed on service on 29 March.
On 20 June the new lifeboat house, built to accommodate the new C class lifeboat was officially opened, the new lifeboat was dedicated and a Centenary Vellum was awarded to the station.
1997Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to crew members Jeremy Thomas and Leonard Walters when three people were rescued near Penbryn Beach after being cut off by the tide. The C class lifeboat was operating in conditions at the limits of this class of lifeboat. Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum also accorded to a young Aberporth Lifeguard, Simon Jury, who assisted the lifeboat in this service, using his surfboard on 28 August 1996.
1998A New boathouse for Atlantic 75 class lifeboat and D class lifeboat completed in March.
2005The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Helmsman Dyfrig Brown in recognition of his skill and seamanship when the B class inshore lifeboat saved the lives of three men cut off by the rising tide at Fathganeg Rock on 30 August 2004. The service was carried out in large turbulent seas close to a dangerous rock pinnacle. A fourth man was saved by a helicopter
2009The new station D class lifeboat D-709 Elsi Lda Meade was placed on service on 28 January. Lifeboat D-547 Society of Societies has been withdrawn to the relief fleet.
2011Framed letter of thanks signed by the Chairman of the RNLI, Admiral the Lord Boyce awarded to Helmsman Len Walters for the rescue of a couple from a capsized catamaran from rocks at Tresaith in adverse conditions on the afternoon of 30 April 2011.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736). Charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland | RNLI (Trading) Ltd - 1073377, RNLI (Sales) Ltd - 2202240, RNLI (Enterprises) Ltd - 1784500 and RNLI College Ltd - 7705470 are all companies registered in England and Wales at West Quay Road, Poole BH15 1HZ. Images & copyright © RNLI 2014.