IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE
ATTENTION: This legal notice applies to the entire contents of the Website, and any linked or associated websites, under the domain name rnli.org ( 'the Website') and to any correspondence by e-mail between the Company and you. Please read these terms carefully before using the Website. Using the Website indicates that you accept these terms regardless of whether or not you choose to register with us. If you do not accept these terms, you must not use the Website. This notice is issued by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736) and with the charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland of West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset BH15 1HZ (the 'Company').
1.1 You may access most areas of the Website without registering your details. Certain areas of the Website are only open to you if you register.
1.2 By accessing any part of the Website, you shall be deemed to have accepted this legal notice in full. If you do not accept this legal notice in full, you must leave the Website immediately.
1.3 The Company may revise this legal notice from time to time. Certain provisions of this legal notice may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages of the Website.
2.1 No part of the Website may be reproduced or stored in any other website or included in any public or private electronic retrieval system or service without the Company's prior written permission.
2.2 Any rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved.
3. SERVICE ACCESS
3.1 While the Company endeavours to ensure that the Website is normally available 24 hours a day, the Company shall not be liable if for any reason the Website is unavailable at any time or for any period.
3.2 Access to the Website may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond the Company's control.
4. VISITOR MATERIAL AND CONDUCT
4.2 By transmitting and or uploading any material to the Website you warrant that you own the copyright in the material or have the necessary licences or assignments to do so and that by transmitting or uploading the material you are not infringing any third parties’ intellectual property rights whatsoever.
4.4 By transmitting and or uploading any material to the Website you are granting the Company a perpetual royalty free licence to exploit the content of any material you upload to the Website and all additional rights necessary to allow the Company and its designees to copy, disclose, distribute, incorporate, display and otherwise use the material for any and all commercial or non-commercial purposes.
4.5 The Company does not sanction, approve or countenance any copies or use of any intellectual property rights without the express written permission of the author and or owner of the intellectual property rights in that work.
4.6 You may not misuse the Website (including, without limitation, by hacking).
4.7 The Company shall fully co-operate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing the Company to disclose the identity or locate anyone posting any material in breach of any of the clauses in this policy.
5. LINKS TO AND FROM OTHER WEBSITES
5.1 Links to third party websites on the Website are provided solely for your convenience. If you use these links, you leave the Website. The Company has not reviewed all of these third party websites and does not control and is not responsible for these websites or their content or availability. The Company therefore does not endorse or make any representations about them, or any material found there, or any results that may be obtained by using them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to the Website, you do so entirely at your own risk.
6.1 Each registration is for a single user only. The Company does not permit you to share your user name and password with any other person nor with multiple users on a network.
6.2 Responsibility for the security of any passwords issued rests with you.
7.1 While the Company endeavours to ensure that the information on the Website is correct, the Company does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the material on the Website. The Company may make changes to the material on the Website, or to any products and prices described in it, at any time without notice. The material on the Website may be out of date, and the Company makes no commitment to update such material.
7.2 The material on the Website is provided 'as is', without any conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind. Accordingly, to the maximum extent permitted by law, the Company provides you with the Website on the basis that the Company excludes all representations, warranties, conditions and other rights which, but for this legal notice, might have effect in relation to the Website.
8.1 The Company, any other party (whether or not involved in creating, producing, maintaining or delivering the Website), and any of the Company's group companies and the officers, directors, employees, shareholders or agents of any of them, exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damages, or any loss of income, profits, goodwill, data, contracts, use of money, or loss or damages arising from or connected in any way to business interruption, and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract or otherwise) in connection with the Website in any way or in connection with the use, inability to use or the results of use of the Website, any websites linked to the Website or the material on such websites, including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the Website or your downloading of any material from the Website or any websites linked to the Website.
8.2 Nothing in this legal notice shall exclude or limit the Company's liability for:
(a) death or personal injury caused by negligence as such term is defined by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977; or
(b) fraud; or
(c) misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
(d) any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
9. GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
This legal notice shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales. Disputes arising in connection with this legal notice shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
10. USER CONTRIBUTIONS
If you wish to contribute content to any RNLI website or within any of our services (such as E-cards or ‘Tell a friend’ emails) you must comply with the following Rules, in addition to our general website Terms & Conditions and the above User Generated Content Policy, which you must also read. If you are under 18 please get the permission of a parent/guardian before contributing to our websites.
In these Rules, 'Contributions' refer to any content posted or submitted by users of the Website and social media pages including, amongst other things messages, stories, comments, suggestions, emails, photos, images or videos.
We are not responsible for Contributions posted to or sent from the Website. Please remember that these Contributions express the views of the author of the Contribution, not the views of the RNLI. Any user who feels that a Contribution is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately as we are reliant upon users to point out any Contributions which infringe these Rules. You can use the flag a comment link or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Flag a comment' in the subject line. In both cases you need to provide:-
• Your name, company or organisation name if relevant, contact details (both a land address, telephone number and email)
• Details of the exact content complained of and details of why you are complaining about that content
• Confirmation from you that the information you have provided is accurate, complete and not misleading
Once an infringing Contribution has been brought to our attention to the extent that we have the ability to remove that Contribution and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.
11. YOUR RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You are required to register an appropriate user name before you can post any Contributions to the Website. You are responsible for all Contributions posted or transmitted under your user name and password or through your email address, whether by you or anyone else. Please do not disclose your password to anybody. If your password has been obtained by someone else, you must let us know immediately.
By posting material, you are confirming that the material is not in breach of these Rules.
You must not post or transmit to or from the Website or social media pages (nor within your post link to) any material:
• Which is knowingly false or misleading
• Which is defamatory (defamatory content is a statement which is false and which may harm the person or organisation it is about)
• Which is illegal, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, liable to incite racial hatred, blasphemous, discriminatory, pornographic, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy
• Which you do not own or for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals
• Which contains viruses or malware or is otherwise technically harmful
• Soliciting names, addresses or phone numbers from minors for any purpose
• Impersonating any person or any entity, or falsely stating or otherwise misrepresenting your affiliation with anyone or any entity
• Which has the purpose or effect of disrupting discussions, causing inconvenience or annoyance to other contributors or site users. Examples include:-
o Making comments of no relevance to the story or topic commented against
o Spamming, ie creating essentially identical messages in different stories or topics
• Which is incompatible with the RNLI’s charitable objects and policies
• Which we consider at our sole discretion has the effect or intent of bringing the RNLI, any of our websites or any of our campaigns into disrepute
12. USER TO USER INTERACTION
To the extent that we permit comments; we welcome comments on the stories and topics submitted by others, but please keep comments civil and polite. Of course it is ok to disagree with someone else’s Contribution, but please keep comments constructive and objective. Please:
• Respect other contributors and treat them as you would wish to be treated in return. Assume that they start with positive intentions and are every bit as intelligent and informed as you are
• Be open to other peoples’ views and beliefs, and respect their right to hold views that are different from yours
• Do not get personal. Comment on what other contributors say, but avoid commenting on the person
• Do not use sarcasm – it often doesn’t work in written communications
• Do not use abusive or inflammatory language which is likely to cause distress to other users
• Do not use offensive user names, or user names that impersonate another person including other users, or a user name that is defamatory to another person
If you come across an argument between contributors which seems to be getting out of control, resist joining in and instead please let us know by using the flag a comment link or email us at email@example.com with 'Flag a comment' in the subject line.
13. PROTECTING OTHER PEOPLES’ PRIVACY
You must not:
• Copy large amounts of other user’s posts and store or transmit them to other sites, by whatever means, and the Company does not sanction, approve or countenance any copies or use of intellectual property rights without the express written permission of the author and or owner of the intellectual property rights in that work
• Disclose private or personal matters concerning any person, including personal addresses or phone numbers
• Reveal what appears to be personal information about another contributor that would identify them in the real world and which they have not otherwise made public online, including by posting links or URLs to any area that would reveal such information
• Attempt to get a password, account information or other information from anyone else
• Reveal email addresses not made public online by a contributor by connecting them to a known screen name used for posting
• Post photographs or videos of individuals without their consent.
If you do post or transmit the above material you may find that you are also in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998.
14. ADVERTISING AND SOLICITING BUSINESS
Unless you have our express written consent to do so, you must not use any of our websites or social media pages to:
• Advertise or offer to sell any commercial product or service, including by posting your own commercial contact details (eg address, email address, phone numbers or website address)
• Solicit names and addresses or other personal information for commercial purposes
You must not use your access to our websites or social media pages, or information gathered from them, to send unsolicited bulk email (spam).
The above lists are not exhaustive and we reserve the right to prohibit any conduct or material that we believe may be harmful to any of our contributors, users or any individual, company or organisation.
15. AVOIDING PROBLEMS
You will be personally liable for any material you post or transmit to or from the Website and social media pages. Remember that children may access and view the Website and social media pages. Please ensure that the content that you put on these sites is not inappropriate for young people to view.
Posting or emailing certain types of material can result in:
• Criminal liability, e.g. harassment or incitement of racial hatred
• A claim for damages against you by a company or individual, eg if you use copyright material or a trade mark without authority or you make a defamatory statement. Make sure that any statement that you make about an individual or organisation can be backed up with clear facts.
Be original - Don’t post any material unless you are the author or you have the requisite licences or assignments which permit you to do so. If you are going to make reference to the work of others or take quotes from other people’s work ensure that you have permission from the person to do so and that the author is adequately referenced.
Please remember that if you add any content to our discussion forums or social media pages, that content may be available for others to view on a worldwide basis. Please don’t make any personal information about yourself or others available on these sites unless you are sure you and they are happy to have it made public.
We recommend that you don’t include your email address in any content you post to our websites or social media pages, unless you wish to receive junk email.
16. BREACH OF THE RULES: ACTION WE MAY TAKE
Breach of either the letter or the spirit of these Rules may result in (amongst other things) any of the following action being taken, as determined by us at our complete discretion and in some cases without prior notice:
• Written warning to the contributor
• Removal of Contributions from the Website (both the Contribution in question and possibly also any other Contributions by the same contributor)
• Request to the contributor to edit a Contribution
• Edit of a Contribution by us
• Temporary suspension of access to contribute content to the Website and social media pages
• Permanent termination of access to contribute content to the Website and social media pages
• Report to the appropriate authorities
• Legal proceedings
Any person whose access has been suspended or whose registration has been terminated must not re-register as a contributor to the Website or social media pages without our prior consent.
We shall be entitled to reveal your identity (or any information which we have about you) in the event of a:
• Complaint or legal action; or
• Request from law enforcement authorities
arising from any Contribution or other action by you.
17. REMOVING CONTRIBUTIONS
To keep the Website up-to-date and relevant, from time to time we may remove Contributions. We may also remove any discussion or topic that becomes extremely off subject, limited to a small group for the purposes of exclusive chat, or is otherwise contrary to the ethos of our website or these Rules.
These User Generated Content and Contribution Rules may be updated from time to time. Therefore, it is important that you check these Rules each time you wish to add a contribution to our website.
If and to any extent these User Generated Content and Contribution Rules conflict with the Website Terms and Conditions then the Website Terms and Conditions shall prevail.
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution is a charity registered in England and Wales (209603) and Scotland (SC037736). Charity number CHY 2678 in the Republic of Ireland | RNLI (Trading) Ltd - 1073377, RNLI (Sales) Ltd - 2202240, RNLI (Enterprises) Ltd - 1784500 and RNLI College Ltd - 7705470 are all companies registered in England and Wales at West Quay Road, Poole BH15 1HZ. Images & copyright © RNLI 2014.