Thank you for visiting this RNLI website.
Please read these terms and conditions (“Terms”) carefully before using this site or placing an order. If you are under 18 please get a parent or guardian to read through these Terms and to discuss them with you.
If you don’t accept these Terms (note in particular terms 10 and 11) please don’t use or order from this site. If you use the website and/or place any orders you will be bound by these Terms whether or not you have registered, and they will form a contract between you and us. Our Privacy Statement also forms part of these Terms and should be read also. Some parts of our websites may also contain additional provisions which apply in addition to these Terms such as the Online Store Terms & Conditions and our Contribution Rules.
1. Who are we - This is the website of the RNLI, a charity registered in England & Wales, Scotland and the Republic of Ireland, charity number 209603, whose registered office is at West Quay Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HZ. References in these Terms to 'we' or 'us' are to the RNLI. For more information go to Our purpose.
2.1. We may change these Terms at any time, in which case the amended Terms will be posted on the site and will apply from the date we post them, with the exception that any orders that we have already accepted from you before the new Terms are posted will continue to be subject to the Terms in force when your order was accepted. Please check these Terms on each occasion you use the site. If you continue to use the site you will be bound by the latest Terms.
2.2. The format and content of the site changes constantly. You should refresh your browser each time you visit the site to ensure that you access the most up to date version.
3. Using the site - You agree to only use the site in a manner that complies with all applicable laws and regulations and is consistent with these Terms and does not infringe the rights of anyone else, nor restrict or inhibit their use and enjoyment of the site (including, amongst other things, by hacking). We reserve the right in our sole discretion to deny any user access to the site or any part of it without prior notice.
4. Registration - You may access and use most parts of our websites without registering your details with us. In cases where registration is required each registration must be for a single user only. Please ensure that the details you provide us with are correct and complete and inform us immediately of any changes to the information that you provided when registering. You must make sure that you keep your password confidential. This means that you must not share your password or let anyone else access your account. Always ensure you log out of your account at the end of your session to avoid anyone else using it. You should inform us immediately if you have any reason to believe that your password has become known to anyone else, or if your password is being, or is likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner. We may disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms.
5. Privacy - We use, store and process information about you in accordance with our Privacy and Security Policy. By using our websites, you consent to our use, storage and processing of your information in accordance with that policy.
6. Website content including user-generated content
6.1. If you have a complaint about any content on (or sent via) this site please contact us immediately by clicking the ‘Flag a comment’ link or emailing the RNLI digital team with “Flag a comment” in the subject line setting out:-
6.1.1. Your name, company or organisation name if relevant, contact details (both a land address, telephone number and email);
6.1.2. Details of the exact content complained of and details of why you are complaining about that content; and
6.1.3. Confirmation from you that that the information that you have provided is accurate, complete and not misleading.
Please note that no action can be taken without this information.
6.2. You must not post or transmit to this website any material:-
6.2.1. That is knowingly false or misleading, defamatory, illegal, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, liable to incite racial hatred, blasphemous, discriminatory, pornographic, sexually oriented, threatening or invasive of a person's privacy;
6.2.2. Which you do not own or for which you have not obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals;
6.2.3. Which is technically harmful (including, amongst other things, computer viruses, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data);
6.2.4. Impersonating any person or entity, or falsely stating or otherwise misrepresenting your affiliation with anyone or entity;
6.2.5. That is otherwise in breach of the RNLI’s Contribution Rules.
6.3. If you post or transmit to any of our websites any material of the type prohibited under term 6.2 above (or which otherwise results in a claim or action against us) and we incur any costs, expenses, liability or losses as a result then you agree to indemnify us for all such costs, expenses, liability and losses.
6.4. If you post or transmit any material to any of our websites:-
6.4.1. You grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty free, worldwide licence to use, highlight, comment, modify or reproduce your Contributions in whole or part, in whatever form, on our websites, social media pages and other communications and publications;
6.4.2. By submitting a contribution you waive your moral rights including the right to be identified as the author of the content;
6.4.3. You grant us the right to use the name that you submit in connection with that material; and
6.4.4. We shall be entitled to reveal your identity (or any information which we have about you) to any third party who claims that any of that material violates any of their rights or to any government or regulatory authority that is entitled or requires us to do so.
6.5. We may remove or edit any material or posting you make on any of our websites at any time.
7. Tell a friend
7.1. If you use Charity’s “Tell a friend” service we will:-
7.1.1. Let the individual recipient know how we got their details;
7.1.2. Make your identity clear in the email that we send; and
7.1.3. Keep a record of the number of “Tell a friend” emails that you recommend sending.
7.2. We may block your use of this service if you:-
7.2.1. Knowingly suggest a friend whose consent you do not have;
7.2.2. Use a fictitious name or email address;
7.2.3. Use the service with the intention to harass or cause a nuisance to a recipient; or
7.2.4. Send a personalised message within the email that contains inappropriate content or that is otherwise in breach of Charity’s Contribution Rules or these Terms.
8. Intellectual Property Rights
8.1. You acknowledge that all copyright, trade marks and other intellectual property rights in the website and all photographs, footage, designs, images, text, software, data and other material in the site or generated by the site are owned by us or our licensors. You are permitted to use the site and this material only as expressly authorised by us.
8.2. You are permitted to print and download extracts from this website for your personal non-commercial use and for private study or teaching purposes, provided in each case that:-
8.2.1. Copyright and source indications are also printed and copied;
8.2.2. No modifications are made to the materials and they are not used as part of any other publication;
8.2.3. Any document is printed and copied entirely and is not used in a derogatory or misleading context; and
8.2.4. The material is not used in a manner which may damage our reputation or otherwise be harmful to us or impair our ability to achieve our charitable objects.
8.3. No other use of material in the website may be made without first obtaining our written permission. In particular, you must not do the following unless you have first obtained our written permission:-
8.3.1. Incorporate any material from the site in any other work or publication, whether in hard copy or electronic form; or
8.3.2. Make any commercial use or publication of any material on the site (other than as necessary for the purpose of viewing the site in the course of business).
8.4. If you wish to use any material on the site other than in accordance with term 8.2 above please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Permissions Request”.
8.5. The photographic, text and other graphic images within any products or publications supplied to you are copyright works and none of them may be copied, reproduced, licensed or otherwise exploited.
8.6. The RNLI name and logo are trade marks of the RNLI. Other logos and names used on the site may also be the trade marks of the RNLI or their respective owners. No permission is given by us in respect of the use of any such trade marks, names or logos and such use may constitute an infringement of the holder's rights.
8.7. Any rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved.
9. Advertisers and Sponsors - We may from time to time allow companies to advertise goods and services on our site. While we will not knowingly run an advert that is untrue, or which relates to goods or services contrary to our objects, the appearance of an advert does not mean that we endorse the advertiser's goods or services. With the exception of products sold on this website, we are not responsible for the accuracy of any advertising material or for any advertised product or service.
10.1. The information provided in our websites is intended to provide general information only and, as such, should not be considered as a substitute for advice covering any specific situation. While we endeavour to ensure that the information on our websites is correct, we do not warrant the accuracy and completeness of that information. The material on our websites may be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such material.
10.2. We take every reasonable care to ensure that any payment made by you in connection with our website is conducted via a secure link. However, the security of information and payments transmitted via the Internet cannot be guaranteed and as we are not responsible for the operation of the secure link we will not, unless we are negligent, be liable for any loss you may suffer if a third party obtains unauthorised access to any information you provide.
10.3. We do not warrant that the functions contained in this site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs or represent full functionality, accuracy or reliability of the materials. We will not be liable for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system or any other damages (including amongst other losses, loss of profit or loss of use) arising out of your use or delay or inability to use the site, its content or any link to another web site arising in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise except in the case of death or personal injury caused by our negligence. Nothing in this disclaimer applies to any products which you purchase from the site.
11.1. We do not limit in any way our liability by law for fraud or death or personal injury caused by our negligence or breach of statutory duty or any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
11.2. We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by us or our employees or agents in circumstances where:-
11.2.1. Loss or damage was not reasonably foreseeable to both you and us when you commenced using the site or when a contract for the sale by us to you was formed;
11.2.2. Loss or damage was not caused by any breach by us, our employees or agents; or
11.2.3. Loss or damage relates to business and/or non-consumers (including loss of profits, revenue, contracts, anticipated savings, data, goodwill or wasted expenditure).
12.1. Our site may contain links to third party websites. Such links are provided for your convenience only. We do not necessarily control such websites and are not responsible for their contents. The mere inclusion of such links does not imply any endorsement of the material on those websites or any association with their operators. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to from this website, you do so entirely at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all the time and we have no control over the availability of the linked pages.
12.2. If you wish to link from your website to our site you may do so only on the basis that you link to, but do not replicate, the home page or other pages which specifically state that you can link to them (for example our Shorething Welcome page), and subject to the following conditions:-
12.2.1. The link must simply consist of either the website address or any linking logo which we state on our site can be used (for example the Shorething link logo);
12.2.2. You do not remove, distort or otherwise alter the size or appearance of any logos on the site;
12.2.3. You do not in any way imply that we are endorsing any products or services;
12.2.4. You do not misrepresent your relationship with us nor present any other false information about us;
12.2.5. You do not otherwise use any RNLI trade marks displayed on our sites without our express written permission;
12.2.6. You do not link from a website that is not owned by you; and
12.2.7. Your website does not contain content that is distasteful, pornographic, infringes any intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or otherwise does not comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
12.3. At any time and at our complete discretion we reserve the right to withdraw the permission to make website links to our sites.
13. If any provisions of these Terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any country which apply to these Terms, then so far as these Terms apply within that country in which those provisions are illegal, invalid or unenforceable, those provisions shall be severed and deleted from these Terms and the remaining provisions of these Terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable.
14. If you breach these Terms and we take no action, we will still be entitled to use our rights and remedies at a later date or in any other situation where you breach these Terms.
15. Events Beyond our Control - We will not be liable to you for any delay in delivering any services or order or breach of our obligations, if the delay or breach is due to acts of God, civil commotion, riots, malicious damage, floods, drought, fire, epidemic, legislation, failure of ISP or telecommunications provider or other cause beyond our reasonable control. This does not affect your statutory rights.
16. Law, Courts and Language - These Terms, use of our sites and the supply of products and services by us are governed by and to be interpreted in accordance with English law. In the event of any dispute arising in relation to these Terms, use of our sites or in relation to the supply of any products or services by us the English courts will have jurisdiction over the dispute. These Terms and this site are provided in the English language only.
If you have any questions relating to these Terms, please e-mail us direct at email@example.com.
These Terms were last updated: 21 December 2010