It is with great sadness we report that Gavin passed away peacefully on Monday 25 February. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer in May 2012 while he was still serving on the Newhaven crew. Our sincere condolences go to his wife Lucy and children.
Gavin joined the crew in 2006 and was appointed as Assistant Mechanic in 2008. He was awarded the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012 in recognition of his service. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him, especially his friends at the Newhaven Lifeboat Station.
After Gavin was diagnosed fellow crew and friends of the lifeboat station raised £8,390 last July for Macmillan Cancer Support by mountain biking 100 miles of the South Downs Way and a sponsored walk over part of the South Downs. The huge sum raised reflects the popularity of Gavin and how his volunteering work has been appreciated.
Gavin worked full time for the RNLI as Deputy Shoreworks Manager for Lifeguards covering Wales and parts of the South East.
Coxswain Paul Legendre explained: 'Gavin was one of those larger than life characters who always looked out for others and really would do anything for anyone. We have so many great memories from his time on the boat.'
The date for Gavin’s funeral is to be confirmed.
Notes to editors
To follow Newhaven lifeboat services visit www.newhavenlifeboat.co.uk, Facebook, Twitter & YouTube for the latest pictures and video.
Newhaven has celebrated over 209 years as a lifeboat station, also being the oldest RNLI station in the UK. Newhaven operates an all-weather Severn class lifeboat David and Elizabeth Acland.
RNLI media contacts
• Alan Novis Newhaven RNLI Station Volunteer Lifeboat Press Officer 07916 272861, email@example.com
• Paul Legendre Newhaven RNLI Station Coxswain 07527 580859, Newhaven@rnli.org.uk
• Tim Ash, RNLI Public Relations Manager (London/East/South East) 0207 6207426 / 07785 296252 / firstname.lastname@example.org
• Philly Byrde, RNLI Press Officer (London/East/South East) 0207 6207425 / 07786 668825 / email@example.com
• For enquiries outside normal business hours, contact the RNLI duty press officer on 01202 336789